Thursday, September 30, 2010

Babushka's and Immune Systems...

I know its been forever but this time it wasnt because I was procrastinating, it was because I litterally couldnt get my hands on a computer! Also, Im apologizing beforehand for any mistakes in this post, I dont have time to spellcheck or reread.

Since last time I posted theres been a big change. After some interesting misunderstandings I have a new host family! A babushka to be exact, (grandmother in Russian). Babushka Riah. Even though Ive been living at her flat for half a week, I only just met her last night. She was in one of the many villages outside of the 'thriving' metropolis of Kyiv, taking care of animals and crops possibly...? Im not sure exactly.

I havent been living alone for this past week though. Before last night when Babushka Riah came home, Marina (a 38yr old single woman) was my only roommate. She speaks a good bit of English and is very kind and outgoing. The first night I met her, she talked my head off for 2 hours. Listening, replying, and trying to translate/finish sentances in English is extremely trying on the brain, let me tell you. Then she force-fed me this apricot cheese stuff, (ok, not really, but she clearly wasnt going to let me NOT eat it). It was honestly just not good...I was able to eat about half of the 2 by 5 inch chunk of it before I resorted to dropping it into my cup of water bit by bit when she wasnt looking. But I really like her! She's a great roommate!

Now lets talk about Babushka Riah, (rye-ah). I had heard stories about her before I met her that left me a bit anxious. For example, how previous teachers would have to hide in the bathtub if they wanted to read late at night or finish their lesson plans, how she sometimes yells (she only speaks Russian so I can understand how this would be intimidating), she likes to dance randomly and will make you dance with her, and how, in general, she's just a force of nature and you WILL do what she says. Some of the stories were also about her interesting cooking, but I was pleasantly surprised when the first meal she made for me was absolutely delicious! The best borscht Ive had since Ive been in Ukraine and eggs sizzled to perfection on top of white and fluffy bread. And this morning! I had a potato soup, similar to the borscht from last night, and a thick and eggy crepe that tasted like heaven...
She danced a bit before I left this morning. Just thought Id add that, haha. I have no doubt we will have some awesome and hilarious experiences together in the future.

In honor of my old host family, Im going to share one of Vlada's and my funny little escapades we had over our 3 weeks of living together. (Dude...I totally botched that sentence didnt I? Stupid grammer...) Vlada and I decided to go to this

spectacular catherdral which I mentioned in my previous post. It was a Sunday, so we were allowed inside this time. When we walked in I saw two options before me. To the left was a staircase going not up, but down, and in front of me was the beautiful and enormous main hall of the cathedral. I decided to save the best for last and kept walking straight. It WAS beautiful, and I certainly spent my time taking in all of the details of the high walls, ornate decorations, paintings, and giant organ, but when we walked back out into the foyer I took Vlada's arm and steered her excitedly towards the staircase. She stopped though and we had a quick little conversation that went like this...
Vlada: You want to go down there??
Me: Yes, of course!
Vlada: I dont know...maybe first we ask someone.
Me: But there's no one around.
Vlada: Maybe we wait.
Me: Look, its not blocked! And I dont see any sign indicating that its against the rules for us to go down there.
She either saw the logic of my arguement or didnt understand a word I said and decided that it would be better to go with me than leave me to the wrath of some Eastern Orthodox monk when he found me creeping around. Vlada crossed herself and muttered what I assumed was a prayer in Russian (which I still think was a bit unnecessary) and followed me down. There we a bunch of old chairs and dark alcoves, but when we turned down one of the halls we saw these black double doors that were particularly ominous looking. We looked at each other, mentally agreed we'd see what was on the other side, then walked towards the doors. The second before my fingers touched the handles, the doors suddenly shook rather violently. I jumped back and let out a little shriek, (which I felf bad enough about doing in such a reverent place) but at least I wasnt outright insulting like Vlada who managed not only to swear, but swear in a language that I happen to understand perfectly. I took her arm figuring we would leave seeing as how the place was freaking haunted but she stopped me, laughed and said, "Sorry, it was me. I didnt know, look!" She stepped on one of the stones that was half way under both doors and they shook again. We both laughed (in relief) and I tried to open the doors again but they were, of course, locked.

Lastly I wanted to tell my family that LOOOOOOVE them!! And i miss you all dearly! I miss you my sweet little siblings Hannah, Grayson, and Riley! I miss you Mom!!! And I miss you Dad and Donna! Its harder being away from you in another country rather than just in another state going to college because of the fact that we cant talk on the phone! (Its also hard b/c this is the most difficult thing Ive done and everything is crazy and different in Ukraine. And, Im never NOT sick in some way. ((Today its a fiery sore throat, runny nose, and a wicked cough but its better than three days ago when it was a stuffed nose, wicked cough, and the stomach flu.) Yes email is nice and lovely and I cling to every word, but it is not enough!! I want to eat your faces and drink your voices. Everyday. For breakfast, lunch, AND dinner. Youre really pretty lucky that this is not actually possible.
Anyways, I love you! All of you!

Im still having a great time here, life is moving forward. ^_^

P.S. Mom! I love that scarf!! I wear it all the time...the colors are perfect <3

1 comment:

Amber Davis said...

Ah sweetie...I miss you like crazy! So miss our daily chats online!!! hang in there!!! love you Breanna!